This is a 'personal dish' because everyone at home hates belachan. So I eat it alone. :(
Belachan is made from fermented ground shrimp and the smell of belachan is very strong. I have to use 3 ziploc bags to store it to minimize the smell. My daughter says I cook 'smelly' vegetables each time I use belachan. And each time after cooking any dish with belachan, I have to open all the windows and spray air-freshener so my husband will not make too much noise when he returns from work. =_="
I guess Belacan is the durian in cooking. The smell is so pungent that you either hate it of love it. And I love it. :P
Ingredients (for one person):
- 6 Asparagus, skinned and sliced
- 2 clove Garlic, minced
- 2 Shallot, sliced
- 1 Chilli, seed and juvillenned
- 1 teaspoon Belachan, chopped
- 2 teaspoon Ground Dried Shrimp, previously soak to soften before grinding (optional)
- 1/2 tablespoon Cooking Oil
How to do it:
- Saute garlic and shallot in oil till fragrant.
- Add in chilli, belachan and dried shrimp, if using.
- Stir fry for about a minute.
- Add in asparagus and stir fry quickly till cooked.
- Dish and serve immediately.